Re: [Shop-talk] Parts solvent

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Parts solvent
From: Gil Fuqua <Gil.Fuqua@cci-ir.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 16:00:11 +0000
Check with a local supplier for a 'high flash point' solvent.  The higher
flash point adds a measure of protection but you should always close the top
on your parts washer when you are not using it.  It reduces evaporation and
reduces the chance for something that might ignite the solvent.  In addition,
the closed top snuffs out the source for oxygen to feed a fire.

If your parts washer has a lower barrel that houses the solvent and is pumped
up through a nozzle for cleaning, you can make a few improvements to the
washer that will extend the solvent's life.  Add a filter in the pickup line.
I used a spin on filter adapter and use large hydraulic filters that I buy in
bulk for cheap.  The filter catches a lot of the particulate junk that gets
suspended in the solvent.

Extend the drain line to almost the bottom of the barrel, then add about 5-10
gallons of water.  The solvent will drain at the bottom of the tank under the
water line and float to the top. The larger junk will be partially filtered
out as it rises through the water.  This system works well but you end up with
a nice layer of sludge at the bottom of the barrel that has to be cleaned out
periodically.

Gil
Nashville

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums