[Shop-talk] under cabinet lighting

Subject: [Shop-talk] under cabinet lighting
From: bjshov8 at tx.rr.com (bjshov8 at tx.rr.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 17:28:17 +0000
He has combined a lot of the latest stuff-
Cree LED, 18650 rechargeable LiIon battery, small form factor, electronic
driver circuit.  With good craftsmanship no doubt it would be a good light.  If
it gets too hot in 10 minutes then he might be on the verge of going too far.
Hand that to someone that doesn't know what they are doing and they can get in
trouble.

I didn't get to the point of looking at his prices but with Streamlight,
Pelican or Inova you will pay $100+ for similar features, with Surefire you
will pay probably twice that, and those lights are all a bit less powerful.

I built what is called a "mag-85".  You take a common maglite, modify its
socket/reflector/lens to resist heat, put in 8 or 9 high current AA NiMh
batteries, and an 1185 medical builb, and you have a 30 or more watt bulb in
your hand.  Lay it down on a car seat and it will melt through it.  I heard of
someone that had one, a friend was over and wanted a light to go look for
something in their car, he said "just pick one of those over there".  They
picked the mag85, laid it on the seat while they were looking around, and
burned a hole in their seat.