Re: [Shop-talk] Fiberglass front door

To: "John Mitchell" <jmitch@snet.net>, "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Fiberglass front door
From: "Mark" <mark@nashvilletn.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 21:35:52 -0500
John,

I tried epoxy resin on exterior wood once and found that the sun caused it
to deteriorate quickly.  The same epoxy resin (West System) with a few coats
of varnish lasted for several years of direct exposure to sun and the
elements.  However, it needed refinished in about the 4th year which was a
really big PIA to get the stuff that didn't peel off.  I have returned to
conventional high quality spar varnish with a UV shield, Epfanes is the
brand I have settled on after trying 4 or 5 others.  I don't know what it
would do on fiberglass and stain.