[Shop-talk] the air saga continues

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] the air saga continues
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 07:00:23 -0500
small leaks ??  vacuums and slime and epoxy, oh my ???  In my case, I have
small leaks also.  My tank and system will leak down in 3-4 days.  However it
might be 5-14 days before I need air again.

My major problem is remembering to turn off my compressor when I leave the
shop !  I usually notice the lights flicker in the house when it comes on and
I go out to kill the breaker.

I think you're past the point of diminishing returns...  I don't know if I've
EVER seen a system that is totally leak free... Readily available air is nice
convenience, but my old Quincy 300 will get me what I need in less than 5
minutes.  I spend that time putting away tools and stuff.

I really don't want my compressor coming on in the middle of the night or when
I'm out of the shop.  I've had a situation once where my pressure cut off
switch contacts fused and the compressor ran for hours/days. I really don't
know how long... I went on an over night trip so it COULD have run for 30
hours.. with my luck the contacts stuck as I pulled out of the driveway...
(I've since added a contactor to start the compressor.) Somewhere up in the
"higher than you'd want" pressure ranges it blew a flex hose and kept adding
hot compressed air to the atmosphere .  I may be the guy Al Gore is looking
for !!!

I'm 63 now and have far more things to try to get done before I kick than
eliminating leaks in the compressor circuit..  I've got a truck to finish
building.

What is next on your list to do ???

later
john