[Shop-talk] PEX plumbing

Subject: [Shop-talk] PEX plumbing
From: parkanzky at gmail.com (Paul Parkanzky)
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 15:12:43 -0400
I recently finished my basement, adding a bathroom and wet bar in the
process.  I did all of the plumbing with PEX (and used copper stub-outs at
the wall to finish it out.

I love PEX plumbing.  My father-in-law has the crimper, which he bought when
they built his other daughter's house.  That house is completely plumbed in
PEX, including the in-floor radiant heating and the 300' underground run of
1" PEX that goes to the outdoor wood furnace.  I believe that his is the
Zurn brand.  It is basically just a pair of bolt cutters with a fancy jaw
(and a >$100 price tag!).  It was great to be able to borrow that for the
project since I don't need to have one around all the time.

If it's just a few fittings, I'd recommend the Watt's connectors that Eric
linked.  That's what I used on the few things that I had to install after
I'd returned his crimper and they are extremely easy to use.  I would have
been tempted to use them for everything if I'd found them as cheap as Eric
linked.  I paid at least twice that for the stuff I bought at the big box
store.

One warning.  You say it's for a water line in a shop.  If it's at all
exposed, you'll need to do something to ensure that it doesn't see any
sunlight.  Polyethylenes will continue to cross-link under UV exposure and
get brittle, eventually leading to failures.

-Paul P.