[Shop-talk] Mitre Saws

Subject: [Shop-talk] Mitre Saws
From: ronnie.day at gmail.com (Ronnie Day)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 14:11:36 -0500
We've had the Rigid 12 inch sliding/compound model for years and love it.
It's big, heavy and way out of your price range, but that said, look for a
major brand (Dewalt, Ridgid, Hitachi) 10 inch slider. They may be more than
$200 but I'm sure it'll work better and last longer. It'll be money well
spent, IMHO. Although we didn't buy it with the saw, we soon bought the MSUV
(Miter Saw Utility Vehicle - I kid you not!) which is a portable mount/stand
with large wheels that folds up into a hand truck. This greatly eases moving
this thing around, if you want or need to do that.

There are similar stands from other companies, but we like the Ridgid due to
the large wheels. We also bought long 1 x 4s to extend the fences and use
clamped blocks to do repeat cuts. These 1 x 4s fasten to the metal saw
fences using countersunk carriage bolts and wing nuts so they're easy to
remove.

Regardless, get good blades and learn to adjust the saw to make sure it's
cutting square. A good unit will adjust easier, stay adjusted longer and be
much less frustrating to use.

HTH,
Ron