[Shop-talk] Tig Welder

Subject: [Shop-talk] Tig Welder
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 18:52:15 +0000 (UTC)
No problemo.

Bob

--------------------------------
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

Hey Bob,

I wasn't trying to be snarky or anything, my email was more from my surprise at
this guy getting reamed.

Your understanding of the issue is correct--states are only required to collect
if the company has a nexus in the state of sale. What state Departments of
Revenue are doing is going to the company and getting customer detail and
requesting payments those customers 'forgot' to make.

That's nothing new, they've just ramped up the activity. I think they're
looking for some heads on pikes, so to speak.

I was just thinking about it yesterday, then we were talking about lifts. I'm
thinking now I might go to the local dealer and see if they can match the
online price, or get close. That's a big-ticket individual item. I don't know
that the DoR would ever catch up with that sale, but that seems to be the
population they're examining--relatively few sales for 'larger' amounts by a
small-ish vendor they can intimidate.

This is not at all a scolding or anything of that nature, more just me being a
little wow-ed and not wanting any of y'all to find yourselves on the bad end of
one of those notices, or at least to be fully informed.

Oh, yeah, I'm an accountant.