Re: [Shop-talk] Repair for polycarbonate suitcase

To: "'Matt Trebelhorn'" <matt.lists@trebelhorn.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Repair for polycarbonate suitcase
From: "Paul Parkanzky" <parkanzky@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 12:41:35 -0400
I would think that any of the stronger, low-polarity solvents would do just
fine.  I'd probably use Dichloromethane (AKA Methylene Chloride or DCM).
What you'll be doing is exactly the same thing you do when you use PVC glue
(which actually dissolves the PCV and 'welds' the pipes together).  Google
"Solvent Welding" to get a better idea.

Handling is sort of tricky, but DCM isn't _that_ dangerous at the quantity
you'd be handling.  Nitrile gloves are what is typically recommended, but
DCM will dissolve them pretty rapidly, so you really want to wear the gloves
but still be careful not to have any direct contact with the solvent.  To do
that, just work with Q-tips or syringes of solvent and use very little at a
time at a finger's length away.  Also, work someplace that has good
ventilation.

Polycarbonates solder pretty well, so that's another option.  An electric
plastic welder (or a cheap soldering iron, in a pinch) can melt it back
together.

Good Luck,

-Paul P.