[Shop-talk] Repair for polycarbonate suitcase

To: shoptalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Repair for polycarbonate suitcase
From: Matt Trebelhorn <matt.lists@trebelhorn.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 11:35:16 -0400
I have a polycarbonate suitcase with a small crack -- a little over
an inch long, running from one of the feet to the edge of the piece.

The manufacturer sent us a new one when I sent in a photo of the
crack on a warrantee claim.

Now, if I fix this crack, I'll have two nice suitcases.

So, any suggestions as to how to fix a polycarbonate suitcase?

I've read something about a really heavy-duty solvent that will melt
the material and fuse it back together... if that's the best way to
go, then suggestions on acquisition, use and handling, and disposal
of the solvent would be helpful.  If there's something else I should
try, let me know what that might be.

Shop content?  Well, my wife stickered up the suitcase with stickers
we got at vendor booths at vintage races at Monza.  Not shop related,
exactly, but it's the best I could do.

TIA
Matt

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums