Re: [Shop-talk] storage shed plans

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] storage shed plans
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 08:22:59 -0400
Mark wrote:

"So I stopped at Lowes and glanced at sheds.  I can buy a metal 10x8 shed  for
$300.  Anything non-metal was more like $1k.

Is there some reason I don't want the metal shed?"

Mark,

I don't really understand why everyone is bad mouthing the metal
erector set sheds.  About 15 yrs ago, myself and 2 other neighbors
put up 3 of them (1 each).   Mine and one other one were about 8 X 10
and cost $300ish.   They both lasted 10 yrs, longer if we had of
painted them.   The other was bigger and
the owen has repainted it.  His is still up.

So for $30 per year, where are you going to get that kind of storage.

At the time, I didn't have the money for a $1K plus shed.  So I think
it was a fantastic investment.

About 3 years ago, I tore it down and replaced it with a 10'w X 12'l
vinyl shed, but this one cost me about $1.8K  substantially more, and
I'll never get it's cost down to $30 /
yr.   See
<http://www.team.net/www/morgan/other/shed/shed.html>Install Vinyl Shed

I personally don't really like the stick built sheds as I've seen the
walls rott and the roof need replacing.  Just too much maintenance,
longer and more difficult to build.  And not any cheaper than
something like the vinyl shed.  Their real advantage is that you can
build them to any size and shape you want!  So yes you can really
make them into a garage.  The doors on most sheds are big enough to
allow you to get a car inside. :)

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229