[Shop-talk] A new OT problem.....

Subject: [Shop-talk] A new OT problem.....
From: gerrybraz at cablespeed.com (Gerald Brazil)
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 11:20:39 -0400
OK since most of us agree that there is a great amount of talent in this
group I have a new challenge for it. I hope there are a few experts in
wireless remote control devices.

Here's my problem.

I have an '09 Nissan Murano with a remote rear tailgate. The car has one of
the "smart key" systems that you don't have to take out of your pocket. I
first realized I had a problem one winter morning when I came out and found
my tailgate open and about 6" of snow in the back. I wondered how the
tailgate opened. It happened a time or two again and I was scratching my
head as to why. Then one day I was doing something in the garage that
involved bending, stooping and lifting and all of a sudden I heard my horn
sounding the panic alarm. It was then that I had a clue..when I had the key
fob in my pocket and got into just the right contortions it could press the
panic  button or the lift gate button. So, I invented a somewhat crude but
effective (more or less) solution.

I found a piece of really large heat shrink tubing that would slide snuggly
over the fob. I cut it long enough to cover the panic button and the lift
gate button. I then carved a thin piece of wood to the contour of the fob. I
then used electrical tape to fasten it to the heat shrink tubing. I now had
a device that would cover the two critical buttons but could be slid down if
you needed to use it. My problem seemed to be solved for a while. Then it
happened a few times again. This time we narrowed the problem down to my
wife's VERY STUFF purse. If she threw her purse into her car just right, my
alarm would go off or the tailgate open. We solved the problem by having her
put her spare set of keys for my car into a case so the buttons couldn't be
pushed accidentally. This solved more of our problems but unfortunately not
all of them. In the last few months I have had two occasions when I came out
in the morning and found the tailgate open. My wife's keys were still in the
hard side case and I don't recall twisting into any unusual contortions with
the keys in my pocket. I still had my Rube Goldberg device on it anyway.

I am now wondering if there is some source of a stray signal that could be
causing this to happen. Since I don't have a clue about the technology
involved in these remotes I am throwing my problem to the group and
hopefully we can all learn a little more.

I am awaiting the group's collective wisdom...