Re: [Shop-talk] A new OT problem.....

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] A new OT problem.....
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 13:18:42 -0700
> There was news recently that inadvertent actuation of remote
> starters

This sounds a bit like the old birthday paradox.  The remotes work by having
effectively millions of different encryption sequences (actually different
parts of the same very long sequence).  But get enough owners together, and
the odds of two of them having the same sequence becomes surprisingly high.

With the birthday paradox, although the chances of any two randomly chosen
people having the same birthday is only 1 in 365; the odds are 50/50 that a
group of 23 people will have at least two with the same birthday.

However, I'd probably try replacing the fobs first.  The buttons on mine
(not a Nissan) will sometimes touch down just from the pressure of my pants
leg on them.  I'm not certain, but it may be that the learning process (to
mate a new fob to the car) also resets the sequence, so it would also solve
the problem of the car responding to your neighbor's fob.

-- Randall

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums