Re: [Shop-talk] Replacing a breaker?

To: "'Shop Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Replacing a breaker?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 11:29:44 -0700
> Even though almost all brands of breakers and panels are mechanically
> interchangeable, you have to match brands and products to be NEC
> compliant.

Around here, there are at least 3 major lines that are not compatible.  Two
of them can be found in stores (one is Murray, I forget the other offhand,
maybe Square-D or GE).  My 1968 addition was wired with a third type,
Federal Pacific.

Turns out that Federal Pacific cheated on their type acceptance tests, and
many of their breakers are faulty.  Fortunately I asked a contractor friend
of mine where to buy them, and he clued me in.  I replaced the entire
subpanel.

http://www.inspectapedia.com/fpe/reliance.htm

-- Randall

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums