[Shop-talk] Replacing a damaged helicoil

Subject: [Shop-talk] Replacing a damaged helicoil
From: pat at hornesystemstx.com (Pat Horne)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 18:24:18 -0600
Jim,

If you try to unscrew the helicoil using the bent piece at thee bottom
of the hole it won't work. When the helicoil is installed it uses that
tang to reduce the diameter of the insert slightly, allowing it to be
screwed into the hole. Trying to turn it backwards will make the insert
tighter.

If you mean that the outside of the insert is bent and you can get hold
of it, then yes, you can unscrew the insert with that.

Is the hole blind, or does it open to some area that you can get to from
the back side? If you can get to the back you can run the insert farther
in until it falls out, then retrieve it from there. I wouldn't want to
leave it inside the engine under any circumstances.

If you have a Dremel and a small grinding burr, you should be able to
get inside the hole and cut the insert into rings that can be pulled out
one by one - assuming that the hole is big enough!

Good luck.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Jim Stone, On 2/25/2011 6:12 PM: