[Shop-talk] Changing transmission fluid

Subject: [Shop-talk] Changing transmission fluid
From: eric at megageek.com (eric at megageek.com)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 12:37:34 -0500
OK, I normally don't do tranny flushes myself because I don't have a
machine to do it.

But, my buddy is asking me to do it and I'm thinking now might be a good
time to buy a machine.  Here are my questions...

At about $170 per fluid flush, a machine is paid for after four or five
jobs, so I can justify the cost.

Anyone know of good machines to get, brands to stay away from?  Are they
types or styles that work better/worst?  (remember, I know nothing about
these machines.)

A few of the posts I've been reading elsewhere mentioned that some cars
advise AGAINST using the machines.  They say to just drain, refill, drive
a little bit and repeat.  Is there a reason to NOT use a machine to flush
it?

Finally, my buddy's 2003 Honda Accord needs a change and he is getting a
mechanic that is telling him all that he needs is a drain and refill.  He
is willing to pay me to do the change, which would put me $170 closer to
having this machine paid for, but if it only needs a drain/refill, I can't
justify the machine.

What is the deal with Honda Accords?

Thanks!

Moose