[Shop-talk] Cement patching in cold weather?

Subject: [Shop-talk] Cement patching in cold weather?
From: bjshov8 at tx.rr.com (BJNoSHOV8)
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 17:04:37 -0600
The best that you can get is "Sikatop" by the Sika corporation.  They
are experts in concrete repair products.  There are other manufacturers
that make competing products that may be as good, but we specify Sika.

One key to the successful use of these products is the installation.
Most products of this type have a preferred thickness range.  If you
have a deteriorated area in a driveway, usually the depth varies and
might be very thin along the edges.  For things like this we require
contractors to make a shallow sawcut along the edge and then remove more
of the existing material so that the edge is a ledge and not just a
shallow taper.  Any good product of this type will have detailed
installation instructions including the range of thicknesses.  The
instructions will also have information on the temperature range for
installation.  Generally cement-based products will not work at or below
freezing.  If you must do repairs in those conditions you might have to
build a little tent over the area out of plastic sheeting and put a
heater in there to warm everything up.