[Shop-talk] Portable garage heater

Subject: [Shop-talk] Portable garage heater
From: dmscheidt at gmail.com (David Scheidt)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 09:15:17 -0500
On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 5:08 AM, Wayne <wmc_st at xxiii.com> wrote:
> On 1/31/2011 10:49 PM, Karl Vacek wrote:
>>
>> I have a Reddy Heater, made by DESA, same as Mr. Heater. B It's a propane
>> torpedo heater, I think 75,000 to 125,000 btu.
>
> FWIW, DESA went out of business a couple years ago. B Not sure who makes
Mr.
> Heater (the same guys that make Mr. Plow?) B Their quality was spotty in my
> experience, but they did have decent parts and support.
>
> I'm gonna guess with 400 sq-ft uninsulated detached you need every bit of
> 75k btu.

We've got a bit more than that, 25X40ish, with 30 ft at the roof peak.
 It's completely uninsulated (well, the overhead doors are insulated)
and unfinished (exterior walls are 3/8" (maybe 1/2) ply wood; there
are no interior walls.).  A 30K BTU Mr Heater propane heater will,
given time, warm the place up.  I did the timing belt on a car last
winter when it was just above zero.  It wasn't pleasant, but I could
keep the whole space at 40F, with the area in front of the heater
quite a bit warmer.  (Tip: keep your tools in that space...)  50K
would be nicer.

I run it off a 40 lb tank.  a 20 lb tank won't keep up, and once it
hits half-empty it gets worse.  You can get manifolds that let you
attach more than one tank to hte same appliance, which helps some.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt at gmail.com