Re: [Shop-talk] best oem hose clamp pliers?

To: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] best oem hose clamp pliers?
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 22:54:53 -0500
On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 8:48 PM, old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net> wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> Thank you for your response and suggestions.
>
> Actually I just realized that clamp technologies have moved ahead a great deal
> in the last 20 years and the screw-type clamps probably are inferior (e.g.,
>tend
> to chew into the rubber, do not clamp evenly around the circumference, are
> difficult to access in many tight areas in a water-cooled performance
> motorcycle, are bulky, look unsightly in exposed areas, etc.).
>

> I was just hoping to reuse the original clamps or something similar. I
>attached
> urls for photos of the clamp in the previous message, but do not know if it
>is a
> "standard product" or something that only the Italian motorcycle manufactures
> are using. :-)

Flat band clamps are generally not reusable.  The big advantage of
them (beyond being easier to install with mechanized equipment.) is
that they're constant tension, within a range of diameters.  AS the
hose expands or contracts, the band adjusts, and hte clamping force is
the same.  Normal worm type clamps don't, and can creep.  There are a
rather shocking variety of clamps available, which I suspect is a
patent issue.  You many not be able to get your exact style except
from the dealer, but who knows.

 There are constant tension screw-type hose clamps; they're resuable.
(Gates sells a product line called "green stripe" that includes them.
I think there are others, as well.)

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com