Re: [Shop-talk] vice paint

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] vice paint
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 09:29:28 -0800
On 1/25/2011 8:53 AM, Douglas Braun wrote:
> Buy a $5 can of glossy black Krylon, and use it to respray the vise once a
> year.
> Your long-term annual cost will probably be less than if you painted
> it once with a fancy $25 epoxy paint...

I guess my thought on the subject is ... 'Vise?  What do you do on a
vise?  Well, you pound things and you saw things and you wrench things
and even when you don't intend to do so the tools are banging on the thing."

A nicely painted vise might make a good piece of yard art, maybe on top
of a gatepost or something, but not somewhere you're going to use it...

My old shop vise is a Chinese something-or-another, one of the first
things I ever bought at what was then Price Club before it merged with
Costco 20-plus years ago.  I was rather surprised to find the first time
I hit it with a hammer a chunk of filler came off.  Yeah, they'd bondoed
the not-too-pretty casting to make it look better.  Probably full of
asbestos and God knows what else.

At any rate, the vise still works, though most of the bondo and much of
the paint has chipped off in the intervening lifetime.

John.

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums