[Shop-talk] Stupid TIG tricks (was: Welding cart idea)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Stupid TIG tricks (was: Welding cart idea)
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:55:15 -0500
Well, I went and got the HF $350-on-sale TIG machine last week, and
after playing with it for a week I do not regret buying it.  The only
real downside is the lack of a foot pedal, but people have described
how to add one.

So, I was wondering:  do people think that a TIG/stick machine can
effectively replace a MIG machine?  Can I put my MIG welder up in the
attic?  What sort of tasks could a (120-volt) MIG machine do that a
160-amp TIG/stick machine cannot do?  I know the MIG is faster for
large jobs, but I always seem to have a bunch of little jobs.

Also,  I tried using the TIG as a "blue wrench", turning down the amps
a bit, and making the arc as long as possible.  It seemed to work
pretty well.  Is this a common practice, or some sort of horrible
abuse of the machine?  The only downside I can see is that you need to
remember to use the right body/eye protection for yourself and any
spectators.

How about brazing with a TIG, or soldering copper plumbing?
(I guess for must plumbing jobs, you want something more portable...)

How about heating coffee or leftovers?  :-)

Doug

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums