[Shop-talk] shop lighting

To: Shop Talk 'shop-talk' <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] shop lighting
From: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 20:51:57 -0800 (PST)
Hey boys,

I know we have been through this several times before, but I have a home garage
with 3 8ft dual tube fluorescent electronic ballast fixtures that I installed
and 3 8ft dual tube fluorescent magnetic ballast fixtures that were here when I
arrived. All are T12.

The old magnetic ballasts flicker so badly and are so slow to reach operating
temperature that I just do not use them.

I love the electronic ballast T12's I have and I thought that I should convert
the magnetic ballasts in the existing fixtures to electronic, but in pricing
out
ballasts, it might make more sense to swap the fixtures, but that will be much
more work in replacing the fixtures.

I also could consider switching to T8's, but I have enough T12 bulbs to last my
lifetime, so I am not leaning that way either.

My first question is if there is a good/affordable supplier of electronic
ballasts for my existing T12 fixtures?

My second question is whether it just makes more sense to switch to T8's and
new
ballasts even though I have a good stock of T12 bulbs?

Again, this is in my home garage and will not see a commercial-level of
operating hours (I wish, but I have a day job as well).  :)

Thanks boys...

 best,

shook
'72 BSA B50SS