Re: [Shop-talk] Lubricating garage door cables

To: Brian Kennedy <kennedybc@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lubricating garage door cables
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 22:10:55 -0500
On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Brian Kennedy <kennedybc@comcast.net> wrote:
> I just has a pulley wear through on my garage door opener. When I bought a
> replacement and a couple of spare cables, I see they recommend lubricating the
> cables. I've never done that. Does anyone have experience with cable
> lubrication? I'm wondering if the lubricant might pick up dust and dirt on the
> exposed cable and to more harm than good. The cables run through rotating
> pulleys, so there isn't a lot of friction.

I don't think I've even heard of anyone lubricating their garage door
wire ropes.  Typically, they're lubricated to protect the ropes, not
the sheaves of blocks.  There's lots of friction inside a rope, as the
various fibers are forced to move past each other, and there are
corrosion problems with steel ropes.  lubricant is typically a bunch
of oils in a solvent.  Solvent allows the oil to get where it's
supposed to get, and then evaporates, leaving it there.  A real
hardware store, or a farm store, or a crane supplier will have
something suitable.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com