Re: [Shop-talk] dewalt battery charger testing

To: john niolon <jniolon@bham.rr.com>, Shop Talk List
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] dewalt battery charger testing
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 11:00:35 -0500
On 12/22/2010 10:25 AM, john niolon wrote:
> I'm having trouble charging Dewalt batteries... some it may be old batteries
> but I'm wondering if my one hour charger is dying...   Dewalt 9107  one hour
> charger   when I put a meter across the contacts down in the charger I read NO
> d.c. voltage.  although the battery is getting warm and slowly taking a
> charge... I had a completely dead 12v battery and started charging it with a

I actually read the instructions (little embarrassed to say..) last week
for a DeWalt drill I own.  Surprised to see the warning that the charger
has "AC line voltage present at the terminals."  Hmmm...  So I ignored
the warnings "not to probe the charger's terminals" and stuck the
multimeter on it.  On AC it read 100V one way, and zero with the probes
swapped.  On DC it read 50V.  Wish I owned a 'scope;  I do not.  I
*think* that means it has 100V peak to peak AC with a 50VDC bias on
it???  I really need to buy a 'scope.  If so, the DeWalt batteries must
have internal rectifiers and regulation.  Guess this is why you can
charge any of the batteries on the same charger?

-Wayne

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums