Re: [Shop-talk] Hot Water Heater 'Heat Trap'

To: Randall <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Hot Water Heater 'Heat Trap'
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 22:36:23 -0500
On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Randall <TR3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:
>> They also claim that aluminum causes alzheimers disease.
>
> Er, no, they didn't say that. B What they said is that it has been linked
> Alzheimer's, which is true. B A majority of Alzheimer's patients show
> unusually high amounts of aluminum in their (damaged) brain tissue. B As
far
> as I know, no one has yet been able to show conclusively whether the
> aluminum caused the Alzheimer's, or the Alzheimer's caused the aluminum, or
> something else caused both of them. B Correlation does not imply causation.

There's  good evidence it's not causative.  (There are a number of
diseases that cause the body to retain aluminum.  sufferers of these
diseases don't have different rates of AZ than normal, for instance.)
There isn't even very good evidence that there's increased aluminum in
the brains of AZ patients, either in the plaques or the brain
generally.

They're saying it in the context of "buy our expensive alternative
because Scary!".  That's dishonest, and if they're going to lie about
that (or not care to get the facts straight) about what else are they
going to lie or not bother to get facts straight?

> Only took us 2000 years to figure out that lead is poison; and aluminum has
> only been in common use for less than 100 years. B Might be we don't know
> everything there is to know about it.

The Romans knew lead was a poison.  They knew asbestos caused lung
cancer, too.
There's not a higher rate of AZ in societies that drink lots of tea.
(Tea takes up aluminum, and it's present in relatively large amounts
in the beverage.  One would expect a higher AZ rate, were Al a cause.)

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums