Re: [Shop-talk] Flooring for uneven basement?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Flooring for uneven basement?
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 15:21:01 -0500
On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org> wrote:

> In looking at the lally columns, and the disintegrating floor around them, it
> appears someone poured a topcoat of concrete onto the original slab. The
> lallys sit on the original pour and seem ok, but the topcoat is
> disintegrating, and sounds hollow when wacked with a hammer. So grinding would
> remove the 2" or so of weak topcoat and holy cow I do not want that cleanup
> job.

I think you need to figure out why the topcoat is failing.  Poor
choice of material or mixture, or poor workmanship is one thing.
Failure because there's water movement or something like that is
something else again.  I also wonder what the topcoat was done for,
since it clearly didn't level the floor.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums