Re: [Shop-talk] Flooring for uneven basement?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Flooring for uneven basement?
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 14:29:14 -0500
On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org> wrote:
> I'm renovating a basement and need to put down a finish floor. The concrete is
> 90 years old and very uneven.

Put some numbers on that.  How big are the differences, is it pitched
from side to side (or center to sides), does it have big uneven bumps
and holes, or what?  If it's flatish, and just not level, you can put
a number of things (like a floating laminate, if it's dry) down.  The
resulting floor might pitch, but that's not always awful.

Self-leveling stuff is very expensive, and for big areas, with big
holes to fill, trowelable stuff works fine, is cheaper.  Don't forget
to consider lowering the high spots.

As for the stuff in the way problem, that's a problem whatever you do.
 If you can divide the space into sections, and clear each area to
work on it.  Might mean moving a whole lot of stuff a number of
times...

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com