Re: [Shop-talk] Better construction vehicles?

To: shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Better construction vehicles?
From: Mark Andy <marka@maracing.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 11:44:32 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010, old dirtbeard wrote:
> A GMC Savana heavy (or Chevy) 1/2 ton cargo van with a 4.3L V6 is tough
> to beat. It has 2,250 lb. payload, can pull a most any trailer, drives
> like a car, and mine (an '03) averages 18.5 mpg in mostly city driving
> (on trips it gets 20.5 mpg). It is my daily driver, and the only
> problems I have with it is that it is 6' 11" high and will not fit in
> most of the older parking structures (here in LA they are building the
> newer structures taller, at least on the first floor).
>

> I think the Dodge vans are much lower profile (I see them parked in
> parking structures my GMC will not fit).

Unless you need to park in parking garages a lot, I'd be looking for a
full size, probably 3/4 or 1 ton, cargo van.  They're cheap as heck, keep
everything dry and locked up, will tow stuff if you need to do that, and
there are tons of them out there.  And did I mention cheap?

Only downside is no 4wd, if you're working on dodgy lots or whatever with
muddy drives, etc.

There's a reason that every plumber, electrician, or other tradesman
drives one.

Mark

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums