Re: [Shop-talk] Electronic trailer brakes

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electronic trailer brakes
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 21:21:45 -0400
On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 9:00 PM, Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:
>> Don't suggest pumping the brakes, ABS is far better at it then any
>> human can be.
>
> I won't. B Pumping is _always_ a bad idea, except for people that don't
know
> how to modulate (or brakes that are defective). B To get the best braking,
> you want just enough brake that the tire develops a small amount of slip,
> rather than the on/off/on that you get with either ABS or pumping the
pedal.
> But humans can be better than ABS at modulating (when conditions are the
> same at all 4 wheels), for maximum braking effectiveness.

People claim that they're better than a computer.  I've never seen
anyone present actual evidence.  In particular, ABS systems can find
the point at which the wheels are going to lock without overshooting;
humans can't.

> However, my old controller also had a lever sticking out which acted as an
> override. B You could push it either way, to get either more or less
braking
> from the trailer brakes.
>
> Personally, I try to avoid towing heavy trailers on ice

Yeah, well, you live in California.   Some of us live in places with weather.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums