Re: [Shop-talk] Electronic trailer brakes

To: Carr&Edwards <scvc70@epix.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electronic trailer brakes
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 15:30:48 -0700
> Totally unsuitable for something with ABS, where there's a pump that
> changes fluid pressure to match the wheel's braking ability.

Doesn't seem like a problem to me, since the trailer brakes should already be
full on well before any of the tow vehicle wheels starts to slip.  At worst,
the controller would need a bit of memory, to keep the trailer brakes on
during the short interval where the ABS has released the TV brakes.

But at least on my car, the line between the MC and the ABS hydraulic control
unit keeps the same pressure; the ABS controller just switches off the
pressure to the wheel that is slipping.  Since that matches the description on
About.com, I'd guess that most of them work the same way.  If there were
actually a pump changing the pressure into the MC, the pedal would vibrate a
LOT harder than it does.

http://autorepair.about.com/od/glossary/a/def_ABS.htm

-- Randall

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums