Re: [Shop-talk] Unfamiliar wiring for basement lights

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, shop-talk2@mcfetridge.org
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Unfamiliar wiring for basement lights
From: Pat Horne <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 15:19:02 -0500
  Ian,  As a test try disconnecting the red at the first fixture and
capping it. If the lights and switch still work as they did, then you
can leave it off. I believe that you will find that they don't work. If
they don't work, look in the switch box at the top of the stairs. I
would expect to see a red wire there that is connected to the switch, as
well as a black to another screw. There may or may not be another screw
that the white wire is connected to.  What this means is that the power
from the breaker panel goes to the fixture, then a cable is run from
there to the switch. If there is only one red wire in all the fixtures,
it may be that the electrician didn't want to use the white wire as a
switched hot lead - something that has become illegal within the last
year or so, or he planned for a future light switch to be added at the
bottom of the stairs sometime in the future.

If you need a better explanation please let me know.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake shop-talk2@mcfetridge.org, On 8/21/2010 1:41 PM: