Re: [Shop-talk] charging batterys in series

To: "Dan and Jenny Fest \(Coles Nurseries Inc\)"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] charging batterys in series
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 20:45:25 -0500
If it really is in series then I think you essentially have a 24v battery
with the advantage of the 12v tap center tap being exposed.

I would either get a 24v battery charger ... not much chance of that ... or
I would think that you could put two 12v chargers on it. Put one on each
battery and it just happens that the positive of one charger will be on the
same 12v center tap that the other battery charger's negative happens to be
on. Yes, the chargers are "in series" but I think the load of the battery

I'm can only assume that there are reasons this will not work perfectly, or
may even at all, but that's how I would try to solve the problem. If I had
smoke coming out of a charger after this experiment I would simply install a
massive disconnect switch where the two batteries are connected to each
other, turn off the switch to isolate the batteries, then hook the any
chargers that I had left that were not smoking to each of the batteries like
normal.

Obviously you could simply disconnect the batteries instead of the massive
switch, but I think that would get old after the second time and then I'd
install the switch because I am lazy.

Arvid