Re: [Shop-talk] Holes in an Aluminum Panel

To: bob@texmog.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Holes in an Aluminum Panel
From: John Innis <jdinnis@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:41:06 -0500
You could have the holes welded up, but no matter how skilled the
welder is, you have some serious effort in sanding shaping, filling,
sanding, shaping, filling, and sanding shaping filling and sanding.  I
have seen this done on an aircraft panel.  It was an engine cowling
for a B-17 that was undergoing a museum quality restoration.  There
was a 3/8 inch hole in the cowl that they were repairing.  I don't
know how many hours they had in the panel, but I would guess it was in
the hundreds.  That was a bit thinner, probably .032" but the issue is
the same.  You will get a lot of heat distortion.