[Shop-talk] trailer ramps

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] trailer ramps
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 20:33:45 -0400
I have an auto transport trailer with ramps that I would like to
improve.  Here's how it looks now:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/J_5JK_VOQ5cVahfXWfX7IQ?feat=directlink

The first thing I would like to do is add a flat surface to the
ramps, as going up and down over the cross pieces is a pain.  I was
thinking of adding some expanded steel to make the ramps look more like these:

http://www.pacwesttrailers.com/PW144498_6.jpg

So, the question is, expanded steel comes in various gauges, diamond
sizes, etc.  The trailer can theoretically carry 5000 lbs.  Does
anyone know what kind of expanded steel it would take to handle that
sort of use and stay flat?

Second issue is that the ramps sit on the back edge of the trailer
just by having a downward facing steel angle on the ramp and a
channel at the edge of the deck.  Nothing keeps the ramps from
sliding left or right in the channel.  I think perhaps I can drill
some holes and drop a bolt through both pieces to keep that from
happening.  I'd rather not have extra loose pieces, but if I weld a
pin onto the ramp I don't think it will fit in the carrier under the
trailer for storage.   Any other ideas?  Thanks.

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums