[Shop-talk] removing mylar coating from door

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] removing mylar coating from door
From: "John Niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:28:56 -0500
I've come across a problem I need ya'lls expertise on.  Neighbor has a storm
door on his house.  when it was installed years ago it came with what I assume
was a vinyl or mylar or something  protective shield over the painted
surface... it was never removed and has now joined itself to the door...   the
film is now discolored and severely adhered to the door.

I've tried mineral spirits, goof-off, acetone, brake cleaner and carb cleaner
to no avail...   I don't want to hurt the finish on the door which is either
paint or powder (not sure)...

any suggestions for removing this baked on coating without damaging the finish
underneath ???

thanks
John

I've learned in life that my primary goal
 is to serve as a bad example

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums