[Shop-talk] used parts locator services

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] used parts locator services
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 10:56:36 -0700
I have a VW Eurovan with automatic trans.  VW put ATF dipsticks on the early
ones but left them off after '96.  The trans is deliacate and needs
frequent fluid changes, and a dipstick makes that a lot easier.

But the dipsticks are no longer available from VW or any of
the VW parts sellers (yes, that includes the excellent europarts-sd).

I managed to get a dipstick tube but I need a dipstick.
(if any of you happen to have one you'd sell, let me know).

In searching on line I found a used parts locator service www.automotix.net.
They are encouraging me to become "qualified" which means sending them
my credit card and letting them change $6.95.  Supposedly that
cost is refundable and is subtracted from the sale price if there's a sale.

Is this a scam or is this legit?

Any recommendationa for good used parts services for VW parts?
I've called some big breakers and they just say "no" without
looking, even the ones that I've been told have EV's with intact
dipsticks by Eurovan folk who have visited recently.

Thanks!

Eric

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums