[Shop-talk] Thread Repair

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Thread Repair
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 15:00:16 -0400
My washing machine's transmission died so I ordered a "new" one online,
though not really sure it's new.  The transmission has a threaded steel
shaft, 1-1/8x12 I think, that a threaded aluminum flange treads onto to
hold the basket.  I believe the threads on the shaft are bad/damaged.  I
have two of the flanges.  Both thread on the old transmission without
any problem but both stop abruptly a the same spot on the shaft of the
"new" transmission.  Quick inspection with the "new" transmission
installed in the carcass of the washing machine I don't see anything
obvious with the threads.

I'm faced with a three options: send it back with a couple of weeks of
turn around (and trips to a laundry mat), order a die hoping I sized it
correctly, or "fix" the threads.  I would rather fix it and the correct
method is to use a die but don't think I can buy one local without
ordering.  Dies this size are not cheap.  The other option is to pull
the transmission and file down the bad thread.  I'm pretty sure the
problem is localized midway down the shaft (about

I figure someone on this list with a LBC has had to deal with with a
hard to replace part with damaged threads.  Any suggestions/advice?

Peter T.

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums