Re: [Shop-talk] fuel caddy

To: Frank Vantacich <rustymetal@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] fuel caddy
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 10:17:08 -0700
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 09:03:00AM -0700, Frank Vantacich wrote:
> I know the plastic gas cans will create a static buildup
> if you slide it around the inside of the bed.

That's interesting.

I've used plastic 5 gal gas 'cans' for fueling racing and off road motorcyles
for years.  I haven't blown myself up yet, at least not that I have noticed.
I've never seen even the most cautious rider/racer take any static
precautions or erupt in a ball of flame.

Perhaps removing the tank and/or holding it up to the motorcycle
dissapates the static?  Maybe it is only a problem with stationary
installations where you're fueling from the tank in the bed using a hose?
(in that case I could see grounding the tank to the truck).

Is the static more or less of a problem if you have a plastic
or spray bed liner?

I do know that pumping lots of gas through a hose creates static
but I thought that the hose has a wire and grounds to the vehicle
through the nozzle.

Eric

> I am curious as to whether the caddy comes with any written warning on how to
> transport and fill it.

Me too, especially if it's useful and not CYA legalese telling you
not to play in or around.

Eric

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums