[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [Shop-talk] car a/c work

To: "Mullen, Tim (IS)" <>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] car a/c work
From: David Scheidt <>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 14:54:03 -0400
On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Mullen, Tim (IS) <> wrote:

> Randall wrote:
> >
> > And just BTW, it's a violation of federal law to service A/C
> > without a license.
> Sorry not correct...
> It requires a federal license (fairly easy to get) to purchase R12, and the
> law requires that all R12 be evacuated from an AC system and recycled
> instead
> of venting it to the air.

> However, anyone can buy R134a and although it is strongly recommended that
> it
> be recycled when you empty a system it is not absolutely required and there
> is
> no penalty for not recycling R134a.
Federal law requires a license to work on mobile AC systems if you do it for
"consideration".  (Which gets interpreted very broadly.  do it for the parts
used, and you're in violation.)  Many states have stricter requirements, and
prohibit working on your own systems.  (They may not regulate the sale of
r134a, which implies they're not terribly serious about that, though.)

It is a violation of section 608 of the Clean Air Act to knowingly vent
R134a into the atmosphere. (you face a fine of up to $37,500 for doing so.
No, I have no clue where they got that number from.)

David Scheidt
Suggested annual donation  $12.96

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>