Re: [Shop-talk] Welding a full tank

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Welding a full tank
From: Mark Andy <marka@maracing.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 16:37:04 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010, David Scheidt wrote:
>>   If this is a tank full of flamable liquids (like gasoline) it's a lot of
>> work to drain/fill with water/drain water/dry/refill w/flamable liquid.  Far
>> easier to just remove the oxygen needed to support
>> combustion.  Car exhaust is available and portable.  With exhaust pumped
>> into the container to purge the
>> oxygen, you can weld the tank quickly without all the problems water can
>> create.  I've done this on several
>> gas tanks.  As always YMMV.  No idea if it's OSHA approved, or if it'll be
>> safe on every kind of tank/flamable liquid.
>>

> Right, because filling a tank with an explosive gas is always a good
> idea! Particularly right before you expose it to open flame!
>
> There are safe ways to fill a tank with an inert atmosphere.  This *is
> not* one of them.

I don't know if this really applies, but I'd also heard on the internet
(so it must be true) that current cars have such good emissions that the
old suicide trick of putting a hose from the exhaust into the window
doesn't work any more.  If that's true, that would seem to imply that
there's still oxygen in the exhaust?

Mark

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums