Re: [Shop-talk] Eastwood Welder: made by Lincoln?

To: Tim <tputland@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Eastwood Welder: made by Lincoln?
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 13:13:12 -0500
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Tim <tputland@charter.net> wrote:

> So if I understand correctly Dave, you don't think that this Eastwood model
> is  worth $300 (more like $350+ with shipping)? And I can most likely find a
> small MIG for less?

That's just a general comment on Eastwood's pricing.  I haven't paid
attention to the market for small migs.  I do know there is at least one
chinese company making copies of lincoln welders, probably more than one.
My local praxair outlet had a display of a welder that looks just like
Eastwoods (different paint job) when I was in there getting gas last year.
it was a whole kit, including a cart and gas, for 400-something.

there's nothing exotic in a mig welder, at least at the 120 and 240 V range
used in most shops.  It's a wire feeder, a transformer, a few power
transistors, a gas solenoid, and a few dials, in a metal box.  all commodity
parts.  That's pretty much true of TIG these days, too, for that matter.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com