Re: [Shop-talk] Dry Cell Batteries

To: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dry Cell Batteries
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:09:05 -0800
> I have a multi meter and can check them for voltage but can I assume that
> if the voltage is 1.5 that the battery has a lot of life left in it?

IMO, 1.5 with no load is about the lower limit to call a battery "nearly
new".  And at 1.4 I just pitch them.  As someone said, you could try to
squeeze a little more life out in a low current device like the TV remote,
but I find it frustrating when the remote becomes intermittent (due to low
batteries) and IMO it's not worth the hassle.

BTW, my solution to the 'drawer' problem was to keep the batteries locked up
and dole them out as needed.  Only way I could keep both fresh batteries and
a teenage daughter in the same house!

Randall