Re: [Shop-talk] An off shoot of the Toyota debacle.....

To: "'shop-talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] An off shoot of the Toyota debacle.....
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 16:29:19 -0800
> It is all but
> incapable of producing any appreciable force in the other
> direction.  That is why it cannot turn the engine over.

Sorry, Nolan, but I simply disagree.  If what you say is true, then it would
not slow the car down to manually select a lower gear.  Every single
automatic transmission that I have ever driven will do at least some level
of compression braking, even if not as much as a manual.  (Well, maybe not
the Prius.  It probably did regeneration instead of dumping energy into the
piston engine.)

When I was a kid, Dad even owned an automatic transmission car (Olds F85 as
I recall, tho perhaps I'm mistaken on that point) that could be started by
pushing the car.  Bit exciting though, had to get up to 40 mph or so to do
it (definitely a memorable experience on icy roads)!  And there was no "some
method" of lubrication; the rear pump delivered fluid into the torque
converter and valve body and operating cylinders just like the front pump
did.  When the converter got enough fluid and speed difference, it would
turn the engine.

Insisting that the outer ring of the torque converter is not an "input
shaft" is semantics at best.  The converter is part and parcel of the
automatic transmission, even though it lives outside the main casing, and a
"shaft" can be hollow.

-- Randall