Re: [Shop-talk] An off shoot of the Toyota debacle.....

To: Jim Hurley <jimhurle@gmail.com>, "6pack@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] An off shoot of the Toyota debacle.....
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 14:13:38 -0800
> but if an RV family must have an automatic
> in their toad, Saturn was a good choice.

Just for clarity, many manual transmission cars suffer from the same
problem.  They rely on the countershaft spinning to fling oil around and
lubricate the works; but the countershaft is geared to the input shaft.
Flat-towing them without disconnecting the driveshaft is not a good idea,
and is generally specifically forbidden except for short distance, low speed
tows.  (ISTR my owner's manual said no more than 40 miles, no more than 40
mph, but I might have misremembered.)

I've got a TR3 input shaft with the bearing ruined, apparently from being
towed a significant distance with the rear wheels on the ground, after it
was wrecked.  Makes a good tool for centering the clutch disc <G>

-- Randall