Re: [Shop-talk] more water heater

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] more water heater
From: "Jack Brooks" <jibjib@att.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 21:51:41 -0800
Same here.  The key to doing it yourself, but skipping the expensive permit,
is to not leave the old tank on the curb for pickup, so the inspectors don't
know.  The only serious issues are the gas line hook up and the pressure
relief valve.  If you are not 100% comfortable with reconnecting a natural
gas line, have it inspected.

My hot water heater is about 15 years old and due for another anode change
out in about 2 more years.  I also flush it out about every other year.
Just turn off the heat, open the bottom drain with a hose attached to it,
close off all the faucets and let the water flow under full system pressure,
until it's running clear.  I'll probably change out the pressure relief
valve on the next anode changeout too.  I just watched the MythBusters video
Doug posted.  Yikes!!!

Jack