Re: [Shop-talk] more water heater

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] more water heater
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:31:25 -0500
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:

> > I have never heard of an earthquake in NJ...
>
> According to a geologist friend of mine, there has been at least one major
> earthquake in every state in the union.  NJ is pretty quiet though, the
> last
> one listed was only a 3.8 back in 1973.
> http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/new_jersey/history.php

Northern NJ is actually pretty high risk earthquake area.   I sent a
response about this earlier, but I seem to have sent it to doug only, and
not the list.

NJ building codes do have requirements for earthquake resistance in new
construction, at least for commercial and public buildings; I don't know
about residential ones.  I wouldn't be at all surprised (nor would
geologists) by a magnitude 6 quake near NYC.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com