Re: [Shop-talk] more water heater

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] more water heater
From: "Mullen, Tim (IS)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:41:11 -0600
> I'm wondering when I replace it if I shouldn't do it with flexible
> water / gas connections to make it a little easier to replace 10 to
> 20 years from now, as well as to make it a little easier to install.

This is exactly what I did when I replaced my hot water heater about 12
years ago.

I cut the hard copper lines and installed threaded fittings on the
"stubs".  I then added a ball valve to each line, and a "flexible"
copper line to the tank itself.  It made the installation easy (didn't
have to try to line up the pipes exactly), and will be even easier next
time (with the ball valves, I don't even have to turn off the water to
the house, just close the valves and isolate tank for the rest of the
plumbing).  The gas line was changed to a flexible one too...

Speaking of next time, that will be soon.

I also live with Fairfax County water, and too much chlorine.  We
recently got a notice that our water was too high, it came about a week
after we started having problems with our hot water facets.  The facets
were "plugged" with white "plastic" like residue - I had to remove the
shower valve and clean it out, and the kitchen sink to pull out the
plastic chunks.  Last time this happened was when I had to replace the
original heater.  Once it starts, it just continues - whatever has
degraded in the tank is causing the plastic stuff to flake off and flow
down the pipes...

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA