Re: [Shop-talk] Retaining ring pliers?

To: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Retaining ring pliers?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 18:48:35 -0800
> Except the collar can't be reinstalled over the ring
> without compressing the ring a bit, since the ring expands
> into the collar once positioned.

In my case, I used ordinary 'gas' pliers to compress the ring, while forcing
the collar back over it (and sliding the pliers off).

> These will work. Thanks!

Glad to hear it!  I tried something similar, but it didn't work any better
than the screwdriver method for me.  Had to pry on the ring to get enough
end gap to slip the tool in (note that it's over 1/8" thick when closed),
and then it would usually slip back off when I tried to spread it.

-- Randall