[Shop-talk] Retaining ring pliers?

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Retaining ring pliers?
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 17:37:11 -0500
I'm helping a friend fix a BMW starter. The starter gear slides along
a shaft and is stopped by a collar held in by a retaining ring. The
ring is a round section type like these:

http://www.rotorclip.com/cat_pdfs/rhc.pdf

and it simultaneously fits in a groove in the shaft, and in a groove
in the collar. Here's the fiche from the bike, and "Starter Single
Parts" will open the diagram:

http://www.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?model=R1100S&prod=011997-092004

I'm looking for a tool(s) that would assist in compressing the ring to
allow the collar to slide off/on it, and also expand the ring to ease
removal from the shaft. There's already been one screwdriver-under-the-
fingernail episode...

thanks,
jim