Re: [Shop-talk] Wheel Balancer

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wheel Balancer
From: "Mullen, Tim (IS)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 11:35:26 -0600
Nolan

> I've got a bubble balancer.  They work.  A lot touchier than you'd
> expect for trying to get that optimal static balance.

Years ago (many, many years ago) I was taught how to balance tires on
the bubble balancer.  It always takes two weights.  Determine the "heavy
side", and then starting about 120 degrees from each side, place a
weight on the rim.  Adjust them evenly (move them both closer or farther
from the heavy side) until it's balanced.  Use a heavier or lighter
weight if you have to move too far from 120 degrees.  When you find the
balance point, hammer the weights into position (or stick them if you
are using the glue on type).  This process makes it easier to balance
the tires and minimizes any dynamic imbalance that you may be creating
by putting one heavy weight opposite the "heavy side".

Tim Mullen