Re: [Shop-talk] Wiring a new compressor.

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wiring a new compressor.
From: Mark Andy <marka@maracing.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 23:46:20 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, John Mitchell wrote:
>   I just received a new Ingersoll Rand compressor which in 220V single
> phase.  The problem is the box has only 2 wiring connections, L1 and L2.
> There's also a greenish screw at the back of the box, which I assume is
> for the bare ground wire.  So where does the neutral wire go?  The
> instructions are pretty useless.  John Mitchell

I'm not an electrician but...

Sounds to me like its a normal straight 220vac motor.  It takes 110vac on
one line and 110vac on the other line (making 220vac).  The green screw is
for the safety ground.  Since there are no 110vac loads in the compressor,
there's no need for a neutral wire.

If you're running new wire, just run standard /2 wire in whatever guage
you need for the amperage.  If you have an existing wire run, I'd leave
the neutral wire disconnected (and taped/wire nutted over to prevent a
short to something else).  If you have an existing outlet, just connect
nothing to the neutral leg on the plug.

Again, not an electrician, but that's what I'd do in my own house.

Mark